Headaches and migraines aren't just a pain in the head. They're a pain in the butt. Suffering from daily, weekly or even random headaches can significantly interfere with your day and ability to do simple tasks.
Headaches and Migraines Can Affect Your:
- Ability to work
- Decision making
- Ability to look after your kids
Although headaches and migraines are slightly different (see our post on Migraines) there are some basic tips to help prevent and manage them.
Top 5 Tips to Prevent Headaches and Migraines:
- Keep your hydration up. Drinking at least 2 litres of water per day. If you have difficulty drinking water you can try sparkling water, a squeeze of lemon, or drinking non-caffeinated herbal teas. Herbal teas are a great option during the cooler months. Try peppermint, berry teas or relaxing blends. Avoid sweetened drinks, soft drinks or energy drinks.
- Eat regular and small healthy snacks and meals. This helps to keep your blood sugar levels up and help sustain energy. Keep sugar content down in your snacks and meals to avoid a sugar crash and tiredness later. High-fat snacks such as avocado, salmon, nuts. It is also a good idea to identify if you have any particular foods that trigger headaches or migraines and avoid these.
- Regulate your sleep and wake times (read our blog post on Benefits of Regulating Your Sleep Cycle). Sleep is an important part of winding down from your day and repairing from any stressors you may have encountered. Try and go to bed by 10pm and avoid screen time for 30- 60 minutes before bed.
- Stress relief. Finding ways to let go of daily stress helps relieve muscle tension and wind down for a peaceful nights sleep. Meditation is one way. Going to a yoga or exercise class is another. If you have difficulty meditating there are guided meditation apps with some great sleep stories, such as Calm App.
- Magnesium supplements are great for relaxing muscle tension and calming your nervous system and can aid with reducing frequency and intensity of headaches and migraines. Read more about Magnesium types and doses here.
We are here to help
BOOK ONLINE to see an Osteopath or Holistic Chiropractor today.